In 2015, AACS established and expanded its work into human-trafficking victim advocacy. We also continued to provide social support in our existing service areas, to engage in health education and outreach to the community, and to develop relationships with our community partners in various programming areas.
Here are some of our achievements from 2015.
Human-Trafficking Victim Advocacy
- Integrally involved in first and largest human trafficking law enforcement action in Central Ohio.
- Developed support system for human-trafficking victims/survivors (assisted 18 women).
- Created and presented Human Trafficking Workshop.
- Received Freedom Network certification for completing training.
- Perpetrators from earlier operation were successfully prosecuted (first conviction of foreign-born traffickers in Ohio).
- Joined the Ohio Attorney General's Human Trafficking Commission.
- Advocated for and helped pass City Ordinance No. 2769-2015, which adds human-trafficking convictions as grounds for denying a license to operate a massage parlor or bathhouse in the City of Columbus.
- Developed partnership with Polaris Project, the premier national anti-trafficking organization based in Washington, D.C.
- Achieved status as a leader in providing social support to human-trafficking victims/survivors in the state of Ohio.
- Awarded a 3-year $295,000 federal grant for human-trafficking victim advocacy program.
Fundraisers and Grants
- Hosted Asian New Year Gala with 150 attendees, raising over $5,500.
- Hosted Purple Purse Fundraiser to raise awareness on financial abuse for Domestic Violence Awareness Month.
- Received $13,500 grant for Get Out the Vote (GOTV) efforts targeting the Asian-American voters.
- Re-granted VOCA grant, increasing award amount to $131,000.
- Won $15,000 Ohio Children's Trust Fund anti-trafficking grant for 2016.
- Re-granted Ohio Department of Health grant, increasing award amount to $68,000 for 12-month period.
Community and Partnerships
- Participated in White House Summit on Asian Americans and Pacific Islanders.
- Participated in Licking County Health Inequity Conference.
- Provided language and other assistance to Dublin City Police for visit by Chinese law enforcement leadership.
- Healthy Asian Youth (HAY) Program's Christmas party attended by 100 children.
- Further developed partnership with The Salvation Army to become case management extension.
- Invited by Ohio State Rep. Kevin Boyce to join planning committee for 2016 New Americans Forum (name tentative).
Presentations, Trainings, and Events
- Kathy Chen, Executive Director, Presented at Multiethnic Advocates for Cultural Competence (MACC) Conference (Anti-Gambling)
- Kathy Chen, Executive Director, Presented at AAPI Heritage Month events
- Kathy Chen, Executive Director, Presented at Ohio Asian American Health Coalition Conference
- Kathy Chen, Executive Director, Presented at Ohio Asian American/Pacific Islander Legislative Day (Human Trafficking)
- Kathy Chen, Executive Director, Presented at Columbus City Council Meeting (Human Trafficking)
- Kathy Chen, Executive Director, Presented at OCJS Human Trafficking Statewide Conference
- Chin-Yin Shih, Senior Program Manager, Seattle KHB radio interview on AACS and Hep B efforts
- Chin-Yin Shih, Senior Program Manager, presented at VOICES Conferences
- Chin-Yin Shih, Senior Program Manager, presented at Ohio Asian American/Pacific Islander Legislative Day (Language Access)
- AACS, Co-hosted Asian American Commerce Group (AACG) Gala
- AACS, Hosted U-visa, T-visa, and Continued Presence training with guest trainer (immigration attorney)
- AACS, Hosted Human Trafficking 101 with guest trainer (human-trafficking expert) from Taiwan
- AACS, Provided Domestic Violence training with Nationwide Children's Hospital (NCH provided CEUs)
- Karen Jiobu, Health Care Consultant, Won Starfish Award
- Karen Jiobu, Health Care Consultant, Won AACG Community Service Award
- Chin-Yin Shih, Senior Program Manager, Selected as Fellow for Health Rising Leadership Institute
- Dr. John O'Handley, Medical Director, AHI Free Clinic, Columbus Business First EPS Community Health Care Hero recognition
- Dr. Robert Kirkpatrick, Medical Director, Hepatitis B Free Clinic, Columbus Business First EPS Community Health Care Hero recognition
- AACS, nominated for Liberator Awards for its anti-trafficking work